What is a cookie?
Una cookie es un fichero de texto inofensivo que se almacena en su navegador cuando visita casi cualquier página web. La utilidad de la cookie es que la web sea capaz de recordar su visita cuando vuelva a navegar por esa página. Aunque mucha gente no lo sabe las cookies se llevan utilizando desde hace 20 años, cuando aparecieron los primeros navegadores para la World Wide Web.
WHAT IS NOT a cookie??
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie store?
Cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your DNI or personal information, etc. The data that they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but rather your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try to navigate through it web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
Technical cookies: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know
when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user and a registered user navigate, basic tasks for operation of any dynamic website.
Analysis cookies: They collect information about the type of navigation you are doing, the sections you use the most, products consulted, time slot of use, language, etc.
Advertising cookies: They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are own and third party cookies?
Own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and those of third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
To understand the scope of disabling cookies, we show you some examples:
- You will not be able to share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, such as it usually happens in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as my account, o my profile o my orders.
- Online stores: it will be impossible for you to make online purchases, they will have to be by phone or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences as a time slot, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and web traffic, which will make it difficult for the web to be competitive.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you will not be able to upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will also not be able to know if you are a human or a automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be able to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce revenue advertising on the web.
Can cookies be removed?
Yes. Not only to delete, also to block, in a general or particular way for a domain
To delete cookies from a website you must go to your browser settings and
There you can search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Cookie settings for browsers more popular
Below we indicate how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the version of the
- 1. Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking the personalization icon that appears at the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list will appear with all the cookies ordered by domain. So that it is easier to find the cookies of a certain domain enter
partially or totally the address in the Search cookies field.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with cookies from the requested website. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed to its elimination.
To access the cookie settings of the Internet Explorer browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the privacy level you want.
To access the cookie settings of the Firefox browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- Under History choose Use custom settings for history.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the cookie settings of the Safari browser for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of blocking you want to do.
To access the cookie settings of the Safari browser for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the browser cookie settings for
Android devices follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Launch the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies to activate or uncheck the box.
To access the browser cookie settings for Windows Phone follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies box.